Follow @nxtchg

Author Topic: Bitcoin  (Read 4139 times)

NxtChg

• Overlord
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
Bitcoin
« on: December 26, 2015, 11:36:43 am »
I think Bitcoin deserves its own topic here :)

===

Here's what happens without leadership:

https://www.reddit.com/r/btc/comments/3y8khd/rebranding_to_bitcoin_10/

Your average XT redditor is approximately as dumb as the one in the other camp.

So ideas like changing the name to "Bitcoin 1.0" as a way to win, get 82 upvotes ::)

And some even think "This is a brilliant idea"...
Tentacle Overlord, The Deranged Genius of The Abyss

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Bitcoin
« Reply #1 on: December 26, 2015, 10:53:55 pm »
Watching the Bitcoin kerfuffle, can't help but think how beautiful it would be if the economic majority could just vote Maxwell and Wladimir out of power.

Simcoin has so much potential...

grandpa_seth

• Minion
  • Respect: +7
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2015, 01:26:14 am »
So ideas like changing the name to "Bitcoin 1.0" as a way to win, get 82 upvotes ::)

And some even think "This is a brilliant idea"...

Ha ha.

BTW Happy Holidays Overlord!

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2015, 10:11:16 am »
This is a very appropriate quote for Bitcoin Core:

Quote from: Nassim Nicholas Taleb
Some people are so stupid that they don't know that we know that they are stupid.

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2016, 01:03:12 pm »

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 04, 2016, 01:19:37 pm »

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2016, 01:37:23 pm »
Nice comment on reddit:

=====
RBF opt-in. A man walks into a bar, orders a coffee, drinks it, and pays with an RBF transaction. What happens next?

The cashier says excuse me sir you have paid with an RBF transaction and we do not accept RBF transactions.

OK says the man refund me and I'll pay with cash. Sorry says the cashier but I can not refund you. You'll have to send another transaction but make it non-RBF and then send another transaction to bump up the fee on the first transaction and change the destination to yourself thus refunding yourself.

How do I do that says the man shaking his head in disbelief. Well says the cashier it depends on which wallet you are using and as I am not familiar with your wallet I can't really help you.

I'll just pay in cash says the man this bitcoin stuff is just to complicated. The cashier says OK but your first transaction will go through as well if you don't bump the fee and change the outputs. So if it is going to go through says the man why don't you just accept it.

Well says the cashier if I did that you could leave the shop and then do a double spend and the boss would be mad at me because we would lose out. I have another idea though, you could wait for the transaction to confirm in 10 minutes or so and then I can accept it because it will be too late by then for you to so a double spend.

OK says the man, this is crazy but I'll wait 10 minutes to keep the peace.

Ten minutes pass . . . . . . .

OK, says the man, I am going now. Sorry sir, says the cashier but your transaction has not confirmed yet. Because bitcoin is limited in how many transactions can fit in a block, you transaction did not make it this time. You will have to wait another 10 minutes.

Look, says the man, I have played this game enough I have to go now. OK says the cashier but you need to pay me in cash. If you come back later I'll check to see if your transaction has confirmed and I will refund you.

F*&&# hell says the man. This bitcoin shit is really weird and f'd up. You can be sure I won't be using it again.

Man exits and tells all his friends that unless they are computer scientist with hours of free time they should forget about bitcoin.

Cashier talks to boss and tells him another pissed off customer just abused her over bitcoin and asks why the hell they accept this crappy payment method that no one can understands and which pisses off their customers.

Boss says OK then we will stop accepting it, I don't need more strife in my life.

Rinse and repeat enough times and we will never have to increase the blocksize because nobody will be using bitcoin.
=====
https://www.reddit.com/r/Bitcoin/comments/3zju81/rbf_optin_a_man_walk_in_a_bar_order_a_coffe_drink/

wizzardTim

• Jr. Minion
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2016, 07:42:31 pm »
Nice post. No wonder why he would never use bitcoin again. It's just too much trouble and uncertainty.

Confirmations are slow and the blockchain is really huge...who has the patience to wait for confirmations or download the chain from scratch?

Bitcoin was the beginning of it all, but a better solution/currency needs to be developed soon.

The future belongs to a block-less currency, it is pretty obvious now.  :)

SIM has everything that will make it successful and even replace bitcoin.

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2016, 08:02:29 pm »
SIM has everything that will make it successful and even replace bitcoin.

It's a bit depressing to watch the disconnect between my ideas and the actual amount of code I'm able to write per day, but I'm doing my best.

Hopefully, as things start moving, more developers will join...

If we are able to launch somewhere in 2016, Simcoin is poised for success.

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 07, 2016, 06:35:31 pm »

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2016, 04:30:03 pm »
Nice to see others obsessing about something as small as 12 bytes:

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
I'd also use RIPEMD160(SHA256()) as the hash function and save the 12 bytes...

https://lists.linuxfoundation.org/pipermail/bitcoin-dev/2016-January/012198.html

Makes me feel less like a freak :)

Titulaer

• Jr. Minion
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2016, 09:59:03 pm »
Makes me feel less like a freak :)

I think it is a matter of perspective.

Quote from: Gavin Andresen
20 bytes instead of 32 bytes is a savings of almost 40%, which is significant.

40% is a lot, even if it is only 12 bytes. Especially when it is a 'solution' for some irrational fear. Gavins last paragraph sums up the irrationality quite nicely.

So no, you are not a freak in my eyes. :)

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2016, 10:12:41 pm »
40% is a lot, even if it is only 12 bytes. Especially when it is a 'solution' for some irrational fear. Gavins last paragraph sums up the irrationality quite nicely.

Too bad lots of idiots from the Core camp started shouting like crazy monkeys, just because it was Gavin who suggested it...

The IQ of developers dropped significantly after the smartest left or were banned.

So no, you are not a freak in my eyes. :)

Aha-ha, thanks! You'll probably be the last minion left, after everybody loses all hope :)

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 13, 2016, 06:32:59 pm »
Argh, even though JSON-RPC provides a way to return error codes and messages, Bitcoin-QT doesn't bother most (all?) of the time.

It just returns HTTP 500 "Internal Server Error" code. In debug console it returns correct textual messages with error codes, but not via RPC.

And these "core developers" constantly tell everyone how they are rarest, highest-caliber experts, and that the world can't possibly go with a different development team ::)

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2016, 11:39:19 am »
Argh, these morons...

Even though there is the "accounts" feature, it's pretty much ruined because:

a) sendfrom() returns change to a new address, which is not assigned to this account! (why the hell would you do that?! :o)

b) the coin selection algorithm doesn't respect accounts anyway.

So if you have several projects and you want to separate their funds, you pretty much have to run separate nodes, one for each project, and each with (currently) 65 Gb blockchain.

----

After Simcoin's cleanliness, working with Bitcoin drives me mad!

That's why it will never ever be the "facebook of cryptos".

It's just too damn bad.