Follow @nxtchg

Author Topic: Daily "Argh"  (Read 760 times)

NxtChg

• Overlord
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
Daily "Argh"
« on: February 06, 2015, 01:19:13 pm »
You know, SQLite, "out of memory" error in sqlite3_prepare_v2() is not very helpful if you mean to tell me "the database isn't open" ::)

Argh...
Tentacle Overlord, The Deranged Genius of The Abyss

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Daily "Argh"
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2015, 11:30:32 am »
Damn, SQLite casts integers to BLOB as text!

I am sure there was some good reason for doing it this way, but couldn't you at least provide some other method of getting integers as bytes?

Argh...

---

Anybody knows a way? I solved it by doing shifts inside the query and returning parts of the integer, then working with those parts in PHP. Ugly.

At least it works now and shows correct public keys: https://simcoin.info/explorer/index.php?account=99XW-Q4HS-PRIX

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2015, 10:41:04 am »
How dumb do you have to be as a developer to decide "you know what, I think I should check for shared printers and tasks on every access to a shared folder"?!

I am looking at you, Microsoft! This was in WinXP, this is still in Win8.1 ::)

Ever wondered why it takes 3-5 seconds to jump between folders on a network share? Now you know.

The solution is to go to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\RemoteComputer\NameSpace and delete all the stupid namespaces there.

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2015, 09:03:26 pm »
Dammit, practically the whole day just fixing bugs :(

On the one hand, commands make individual modules simpler, but now integration becomes a bitch and you have to track bugs across multitude of simple agents!

Argh, there's truly no silver bullet...  :'(

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 08:49:38 pm »
Found an annoying quirk of MSVC: for quite a while I noticed that for some files it occasionally doesn't see my edits.

This is very annoying! You think you fixed the bug, you compile, the program still misbehaves! You spend a few minutes in the "wtf?" mode, until you realize what's wrong and hit "Rebuild All" manually.

Never got around to actually tracking the problem until now. Turns out, it's just too stupid to distinguish my files from its own, if the name is the same!

So "sttorage.h" is fine, but "storage.h" is not. It never gets into "External Dependencies" and thus is not tracked.

Simply renaming the original file won't help. MSVC has a special file called SYSINCL.DAT where it stores all such wonderful filenames.

You need to delete it from there.

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2015, 06:01:06 pm »
One of the annoying features of Chrome is that if you have a tab, which is not loaded, and you stare at it long enough, the Chrome will reload it.

Makes me wonder, who exactly, what target audience, the developers had in mind when they implemented this?

Cletus from the Simpsons? I don't think even he is _that_ dumb!

This is for somebody in almost vegetative state, drooling and looking with the eyes of a dead cow at an empty browser tab, going "uuuuuhhhhh...". Zombies maybe?

Or maybe Google is trying to install the browser above urinals in public toilets? So they need that kind of "hands-off" operational mode?

I don't know... Sometimes I really fail to understand this world...

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 05, 2015, 07:28:46 pm »
By the way, here's what's pissing me off in this case: when designers understand "usability" as "even a complete moron can use your system".

That's NOT what usability is about! The foremost goal is not "easy to learn", but "easy to operate".

You have no right to sacrifice time and convenience of people who are actually using your software for the sake of a few morons!

And a general principle in this particular case is "don't pretend to be smarter than the user", because unless you actually invented strong AI, your code most certainly won't be.

So, please, don't make decisions on my behalf.

NxtChg

• Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2017, 07:36:23 pm »
This pisses me off soooo much:

The list of the newest talks at TED:
  • How do you build a sacred space?
  • We should all be feminists
  • A simple birth kit for mothers in the developing world
  • An intergalactic guide to using a defibrillator
  • Governments should fight corporations, not collaborate with them
  • 3 ways to plan for the (very) long term
>:(

Mediocrity and stupidity always invade and consume every good thing somebody smart creates :(